Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 78-93 Going solar

Day 78 - Buy only fair trade vegan sugar

Day 79 - Switch to natural insect control
With all of our fruit and veggie purchases we have a problem with fruit flies. I should say, had! A cup full of apple cider vinegar with saran wrap covering poked with holes works like a miracle.

Day 80 - Switch to natural toothpaste
From Aquafresh to Tom's, Trudi reluctantly switched with me.

Day 81 - Build shed in Middleburg
In an attempt to get off the grid, I built the shed out in Middleburg so we have a place to store tools, etc when we move back into our 117 square foot home. WHAT? Yep.

Day 82 - Design solar system
Before I buy this stuff, I need to figure out what we need. I've designed one that's about 1000W that should supply about 200kWh/month. On our last electric bill that's where we were. Woot. Double woot for a $10 electric bill.

Day 83 - Insist on green gifts for me
Ah my birthday. I requested only green gifts. So I got a vegan pizza from Trudi, and an ecomposter from the pops. Looks cool. Can't wait to use it.

Day 84 - Reuse all cooking oil
We only cook veggies, so we decided to just reuse our cooking oil, saving oil.

Day 85 - Order solar off grid system
Oi. This hurt. Very expensive. Had to rob Peter to pay Paul for this one.

Day 86 - Pick up solar system
I couldn't fork $600 for shipping, so I had to drive down to Miami and pick up the goods. Wouldn't fit. Had to scoot my seat all the way forward and drive back to Jax with my arms through the steering wheel and knees on the pedals. Glad I lived.

Day 87 - Green event involvement
Lit a free concert on 5 acre farm for all to give up the mass consumption of packaged bar and restaurant crap. Great low impact way to spend a weekend night.

Day 88 - Switch kitchen soap over to Dr. Bronner's
It's fair-trade organic all-natural. Nuff said.

Day 89 - Compost all veggie scraps
Grabbed an old bucket to store all veggie scraps until we move.

Day 90 - Switch to organic teas
Had to give up the luzianne.

Day 91 - Turn desktop background to black
Uses less electricity

Day 92 - Switch to natural facial soap - Trudi
Trudi gave up the acid chemical washes, whoo hoo.

Day 93 - Buy wood for solar rail instead of plastic
It's renewable and I've got some scraps.


No comments:

Post a Comment