Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 64-75 No internet is tough

Day 64 - No electric heating pad
Working on building the small house and moving, and carrying video equipment, I have come
accustomed to using the heating pad to relax my muscles. These use a lot of electricity. No more. On another note, it's hard to update this site with no internet. When I'm at work I have to do work. When I go to the library I have to run in and out. I'm doing my best. Never fear, the challenge trucks on, even if you don't hear from me for a few days.

Day 65 - No more dehumidifier
Since we turned off the air conditioning it gets quite humid in our apartment. We occasionally used the dehumidifier to get the moisture out. Energy killer. No more.

Day 66 - Let hair air dry
No more blow dryer eating up the electricity.

Day 67 - No more Swiffer
These things are really a waste. Use the pad, throw it out, grab another and repeat. Not to mention the chemicals in their sprays. Bad. No more. Now we use towels. We don't have too much floor space anyway.

Day 68 - Use natural biodegradable hand wash at home
We used to do this, then we moved into an apartment with a huge supply of dial hand wash. Time to get rid and get hand wash with no parabens, artificial colors or fragrances, that's 100% biodegradable. Kiss My Face.

Day 69 - Cook at a gentle boil not rolling
I've always cooked at a rolling boil. Turn the burner knob all the way up and leave it up during the entire cooking process. I made some veggies on Tuesday and cooked at
about 3 on the dial, instead of 10.

Day 70 - Squeeze the toothpaste
For our wedding Trudi and I got toothpaste squeeze clips. I found them, so I can scrape out the last drops of the toothpaste in hopes of buying and using less tubes. I was about to kick the tube 2 weeks ago, and it's still producing.

Day 71 - Wear clothing twice or more
When I get home from work I carefully take my shirts and slacks off and hang them neatly back in the closet so I can wear them again in a few days, saving on the amount of cloths I wash.

Day 72 - Write a book
I started writing a book last Friday about my attempt to save the planet. I feel that if I can find a publisher, a few people might read it and try, in their own way, to save the planet. As of this morning I was over 3,000 words. I have no idea what that means, except that I'm serious. If it comes to fruition would you want pictures or no pictures?

Day 73 - Buy green birthday gifts
I went to Savannah on Saturday to celebrate my father's birthday. We ate at a local organic
restaurant that grows there own produce and raises free-range chickens. Yum. On the way we stopped at the farmers market and bought him a Miranda, a carnivorous plant grown locally. They eat mosquitos. My birthday is in a week, and he bought me a new composter. Word.

Day 74 - No more styrofoam
On the way back from Savannah I was thirsty and almost bought a sweet tea, which comes in a styrofoam cup. I turned it down. Bad styro.

Day 75 - Use natural mouthwash
No more harmful Listerine. This stuff contains no parabens, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, flavors, or animal ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment