Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Days 57-63: 2 Months

Day 57 - Carpool
Any time it's possible, carpool. On Thursday my friends and I had a movie screening in Orlando at the Plaza Cinema Cafe downtown. A small group of us were going down (about 2-2.5 hour drive). We all got off work at separate times so the easiest thing to do would be to meet down in Orlando. This would mean multiple cars doing the work one could handle. Bad. We decided to hang and wait and get off early to accomplish the environmental saving feat. We will continue this trend!

Day 58 - No more paper towels
I used to own a cafe, which closed a little over
a year ago. We had cases of paper towels and napkins left over so I have been using them up over the past year. We finally ran out of paper towels, and I put it on my list to purchase from
Whole Foods. Dumb. I didn't actually buy them. I found two washcloths in our bathroom closet and they have become the kitchen towels. There is one for the floor and one for counter tops.

Day 59 - No disposables at parties
I've pretty much sworn off disposables altogether, but this stuck out like a sore thumb. I went to my friend Curtis's birthday party this weekend and they had tea and chips I ate and drank for nourishment. Here's the thing about parties, no one wants to clean up a mess, so they use disposable cups and plates. I instead went to my car and grabbed my steel water bottle and filled it with yummy tea, and just grabbed as many chips as I could fit in my hands. I did feel better.

Day 60 - Repair ruined clothes
With a new school year starting up I would usually buy a few clothes to get my wardrobe up to speed for the year. New shoes, a couple new shirts and slacks, to replace old worn out clothes.
Instead, this year I spent Sunday at the sewing machine fixing torn clothes and missing buttons. No new anything! Good for the purse and the environment. And the sewing machine is borrowed, thanks Oakley!

Day 61 - Pack no-waste lunches
With the co-op food in full swing, I've got great fruits and homemade breads for lunch. Usually I would wrap the fruits and breads in saran wrap or use sandwich baggies. Not this year. I am using old Earth Balance butter containers instead. And no napkins, I am using my sewn hand-towels instead. Woot.

Day 62 - Unplug electronics at work
This day marks 2 months of the challenge, and still going strong. This seems like a challenge I should have been doing all along. The problem is, my school wants us to leave on our computers overnight for updates and whatever else. I got crap for turning my computer off overnight last year, a lot of crap. I'm in a new building now and I'm trying it again. I've plugged everything in my office to power strips, and I'm turning the strips off when I leave the office for the day.

Day 63 - Make my own salad dressing
I was noticing every couple of weeks I was buying a new bottle of dressing, wasting the small bottles. No longer. Trudi bought a huge vat of Vegenaise (grapeseed oil) and with it I can make months worth of dressing with just the one jar, which I reuse since it's got a big enough mouth that I can clean it thoroughly after each use.


No comments:

Post a Comment