Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Days 45-49 Air Quality

Day 45 - No high fructose corn syrup
In an attempt to stop eating processed foods all together, I felt this was a logical step. It makes people fat, and it's bad for the environment. The corn used to make it is grown in massive fields that cause soil erosion and nutrient depletion. The pesticides and fertilizers used on the corn largely growing in the midwest are leaching into the Mississippi River and and are dropping off in the gulf (as if they don't have enough problems).

Day 46 - Get rid of junk mail
100 million trees get used for junk mail every year. Let's keep the trees in the forrest. Plus it's not that cool that folks are buying and selling my personal information for advertising purposes. I used DMAchoice.org and optoutprescreen.com The funky parts are that dmachoice asks for your email address (so you can set up a phantom address so you don't risk electronic junk mail). opt out asks for your social security number. Hm? Hopefully it worked.

Day 47 - Natural air purification
No more Fabreeze type chemical that toss chemicals around my apartment. Instead I place my fresh daily used coffee grounds out in a bowl and it gets rid of the garlic and onion smells in the kitchen. I've also got baking soda in various places around the house. Our windows are always open while we're home, and sometimes we burn some fresh candles.

Day 48 - Work at the co-op
I ordered some nice organic produce and other items at the Jax Natural Food Buying Club, and instead of just picking my food up, I worked hauling cases and dividing the lots. It is a great community event, bringing like people together. Loved it, and look forward to the next delivery. Check out that produce!

Day 49 - Get houseplants
This goes along with the air purification. Plants remove toxic air emissions including ammonia, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, benzene, xylene, and trichloroethylene. They also make me happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment