Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 23-25 No antiperspirant, no bottled water, and locally baked bread


Day 23 - Use only natural deodorants

My whole life I've been using antiperspirants with aluminum to stop the sweat. My recent research has pointed me to the error of my ways. These aluminums, which accumulate in the brain have lead to Alzheimer's, and unnatural clogging of pores. Also ingredients such as fragrance (loosely labeled), BHT, propylene glycol, and peg-8 distearate are listed as hazards for gastrointestinal and liver function causing risk to the immune and nervous system. Many antiperspirants are still tested on animals and contain animal byproducts as well. This one here I've purchased is mainly made up of baking soda and corn starch. I will say I've been outdoors all weekend and don't smell any worse than I did before the switch, nor am I sweating any more than I did.

Here's a good recipe for natural deodorant:
1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup cornstarch, and a couple drops of essential oil of your choosing (sandalwood is nice for guys, lavender for women)
Shake it up in a glass jar, sprinkle a bit on a damp rag and pat on. Done.

Day 24 - No more bottled water

Municipal water is regulated by our government, bottled is not. So the myth that it's better for you is hogwash. As for the true cost of a bottle of water, I'm going to let Annie Leonard set this one straight. I've learned long ago when someone knows more than me, let them speak:

Day 25 - Only purchase locally baked bread

Packaged bread is one of those massed produced items in the grocery store, that gets shipped from place to place in plastic packaging, all over the country, when we usually have a better product right in front of our noses. Also the locally baked bread doesn't have all the chemicals that packaged bread does to "keep it fresh". Winn Dixie, Whole Foods, Publix, they all have their own bakeries, just bring your own little muslin sack and grab some fresh bread. They'll even slice it for you if you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment